12 posts in this topic

I won $500 in a year long football pickem league, that allowed me to just buy what I wanted instead of picking it up in small increments to avoid the wrath of my wife. Sunday I spent a couple hours online and picked up a flex coat kit a RS1502 blank and the trimmings. Bought the mandatory thread stock and guides to refinish some other rods and now I'm just waiting for it all to show up. I'll be putting together a rod making area in the basement this weekend and I'll get started stripping down a st. croix ultra light I have for trout fishing. That will be my first rod, if it goes well I'll move on to the 1502, if not I have plenty of retired rods waiting for action.

Other projects are to replace the reel seats on my OM heavers, they have the fuji steel plate seats on them but I'd rather have a more conventional seat on there. I also have a 15 year old shakespeare that catches all the fish for some reason so I have to keep it in the rotation but it needs to be upgraded badly, but man you should see it fling a 5 oz and chunk, it's like a whip!

Ben, building is really rewarding. I just ordered a mess of stuff for my next rod,,,figure I would try some different colors - purple, metallic ice blue, and metallic silver. Saw a rod with these colors on a rodbuilding forum and it's sharp!,,,may have to purchase the purple avet to match.

I have purple and gold metalic lined up for my "ravens" 1502, if they hadn't lost this weekend I'd make em all purple. I also have cobalt blue and silver metalic, figure those would be pretty nice looking.

Do you have a 1502? I was looking for something with a 5-6nbait sweet spot, I hope I got it right.

Seems like I rarely throw more then a 6oz frog tongue and I already have 2 rods that can throw up to 12oz and bait really well considering. It's not that I won't fish in conditions that require heavy lead it's that I make sure my golden passes are used when the weather is compliant.

I just bought a couple of things and they should be at my house any day. I didn't get the wrapper yet because I don't have my ebay set up but I am gonna get the pac bay wrapper/dryer. I saw one of the better models for cheap.

Ben, 1502 is a good rod. I beleive it can cast up to 10 and 6 with chunk could be the sweet spot for that rod.

I ordered another 1569 and plan on cutting 6" off the butt. I have one like this and love the overall feel for 8nchunk. I think RS puts out some good blanks for the money.

Thanks for the affirmation on the 1502. I'll give it a shot and find out what I really want in my arsenal. I figured the 09 and 69 were close to what I have now so I opted to go a little lighter, we'll see how it goes. My TICA feels worlds lighter then the OM heavers so I'm looking forward to having the RS side by side now. I plan on leaving a little room in the tip incase I want to trim it down a couple inches to toss the 8's a little better.

For the $ RS blanks are about as good as I'm gonna get on my surf rods. I have 000's in equipment that I use about once a month on average...scary.

Ben, 1502 is a good rod. I beleive it can cast up to 10 and 6 with chunk could be the sweet spot for that rod.

I ordered another 1569 and plan on cutting 6" off the butt. I have one like this and love the overall feel for 8nchunk. I think RS puts out some good blanks for the money.

be sure to chronicle that build as well, I'm soaking in all I can right now...more information at this point is better.

WOW - with Jeff, Scott and now Ben all making rods - I just had a vision: Atlantic Anglers Custom Rods!!!!! Help out fellow members, support the site and get a great rod to boot! :eusa_dance:

1502RS with 6 an bait is perfect.

Thanks! Feeling much better about going blind on it.

I won $500 in a year long football pickem league, that allowed me to just buy what I wanted instead of picking it up in small increments to avoid the wrath of my wife. Sunday I spent a couple hours online and picked up a flex coat kit a RS1502 blank and the trimmings. Bought the mandatory thread stock and guides to refinish some other rods and now I'm just waiting for it all to show up. I'll be putting together a rod making area in the basement this weekend and I'll get started stripping down a st. croix ultra light I have for trout fishing. That will be my first rod, if it goes well I'll move on to the 1502, if not I have plenty of retired rods waiting for action.

Other projects are to replace the reel seats on my OM heavers, they have the fuji steel plate seats on them but I'd rather have a more conventional seat on there. I also have a 15 year old shakespeare that catches all the fish for some reason so I have to keep it in the rotation but it needs to be upgraded badly, but man you should see it fling a 5 oz and chunk, it's like a whip!

Hey, where did you get your reel seats ?

Ben, just a guess but a 24 should fit but may depend on the distance from the bottom of the seat to the butt. A shorter distance may require a 26 since the shaft is larger in diameter.