3 posts in this topic

I'm lookig at the Nor-Fin OFS95 spinning reel anyone have any experience with this reel? It has a line capacity of 600yds of 20lb, 400yds of 25yds and 375yds of 30lb mono line looks like it might be a good sharking reel.

While with luck, patience and a good drag, many people bring Sharks in on the lighter lines.

For casting, go with the heaviest you can cast with a big chunk of bait. Especially at night, Charkey prowls close to shore, even just behind the surf break. You'll need a lot of line to let him run without breaking the lighter line.

In essence, you'll be tiring him out. But you still need it to be heavy enough to get him on shore past the surf break. A lot of lines can break there.

If you want a reel specifically for bringing in large prey, you will need heavier line and a lot of it. I would go with a minimum of 50# and 500 yds of it. This would be if you are yaking out the bait. The more line, the better....

In a nutshell, weigh your needs with your wallet.

Thanks Steve. I have 2 Penn 9/0 and and 6/0 that I have loaded with a split of braid and mono for when I use my yak. There are times when time is short and I don't make it to AI that I just use my spinning gear, I suck with casting reels. I fish most of the time in Delaware and northern Maryland and most times the surf is rough that I don't want to get beatup with the yak so I use my spinning gear.