16 posts in this topic

My Gramps was one of those old timers who surf fished from the 40's until the mid 90's. He had lots of stories from the many years of fishing the Assateague Surf and I have a lot of great memories. Sadly, he passed away 4 years ago and when Dad and I come home from a great evening of fishing, it's hard not to want to stop by Gramp's house and show him what we caught. He used to always say, "My God, look at that fish".

He was one of the originals on that beach and a great fisherman.

Here is a picture of one of his Reds caught off the AI beach in the early 70's.

Gramp_Drum.jpg.2be3988beb2e8fe69985ccea9

Wow, do you know the length on that beast. Thanks for pic. That is one very very old fish.

Great photo, it honors the memory of your grandfather.

Wow Sam thats one big ol fish.......ya know my moms family grew up on 18th street and I don't think they knew what end of a fishing rod to use. Your one lucky puppy to have fishing people growing up :angel10: ...........

Whew!

Got to echo your Gramps in saying "My God, look at that whale!"

That is one hoss.

He sounded like a Grandpop ought to be like, I missed out on that part of life.

Here is me and the man who got me hooked on fishing. I will never forget those summers I spent on the banks of the Niagara River.

5852a4f5d4315_MeandDziaDzia.jpg.1f061665

Igor, they had color photos when you were a kid?

Wow!

:fish:

When you are amazed that I like to fish - just think about that picture of Oliver and his grandfather. That's the man that taught me how to fish and that's where I learned how - on the banks of the Niagara. Sam, you hit the nail on the head when you talked about wanting to stop to show your grandfather your catch of the day. Each and every time I'm out fishing - but especially when I'm with Oliver or Zechariah - my thoughts turn to my father. I always think, "Dad would really love to see this"!

Don't think I have any photos of me fishing with my father. They probably didn't even have cameras way back then . . . . . :happy8:

I see you got the PFD on where's the yak :eusa_shifty:

that would be Oma's over protectiveness at the time....now she watches me wrestle sharks...... go figure.