7 posts in this topic

I think now is the time to think about getting into shape and exercising for the upcoming spring season and summer season for sharks,,,I have been on other boards and never seen this discussed,,,IMHO, there is a fair amount of athletism that goes into our sport, in fact, just as much as baseball, if not more,,,there are times when we do sit in our chair and look for a rod to wiggle but many times we go from one rod to the next for long periods of time, sometimes 8 hours and more.

Casting is a very athletic move,,,if we focus on strengthening our arms, lats, shoulders, stomachs and legs for increase power, we may see an increase in casting distance,,,along with that, believe it or not, yoga or some form of stretching,,,I am always looking for an edge,,,if I can increase my casting by only 5 yards, I am going to do it and plan on exercising hard for it,,,some people claim distance doesn't matter,,,IMHO, it does when fishing for reds and stripers,,,I will defintely concede you can catch monsters in close, but I think you can catch more just inside a bar at a cut where I think many stripers wait to ambush smaller baitfish, and in order to do this you need to exercise and work on your casting technique to get it out there,,,this is very true for AI where the bar can be a good distance away,,,to do this, you need to increase flexibility & strength,,,while you are doing that, go to a football field, baseball field, or any open space and work on your casting technique to increase your distance,,,sometimes that little increase distance from exercise and technique is all you may need to catch more fish.

Running from rod to rod can be tiring,,,sand is tough to walk and run on and can tire your legs out quickly,,,when you get tired, you lose your sense of rythm when you cast,,,when that happens, especially with conventional, you can run into casting problems, blow ups and distance loss,,,in order to increase your endurance, you must work out your legs and work on stamina,,,running & walking can help increase stamina and working out your legs for strength can help out greatly when running rod to rod on the sand.

Many of us yak out for sharks and end up fighting sharks or big rays for long periods of times,,,this can be very tiring to the body,,,one thing that comes to mind is your back,,,exercising those muscles will not only help in long distance fights for many of those big critters, but also keep injury from occuring,,,increasing arm & shoulder strength and flexibility for paddleing is very important,,,during big swell days, you want to be able to get out there quick between sets,,,sometimes you need bursts of speed to get over waves,,,I know I dont want to get tossed and find my rigs tangled up and end up spending an hour untangling and rerigging that mess,,,in order to keep that from occuring you need to focus on paddeling power,,,if you are over wieght, lose some weight,,,this increases bouyancy on your yak and allows for faster paddeling speeds,,,in fact, weight loss can increase stamina in all aspects of fishing, whether from from a yak or the shore.

I know I want to be the best fisherman that I can be and in order to do that, I am going to exercise and lose weight,,,I plan on fishing several tournaments this year and many of those tournaments are marathons, some are 24 hours a day lasting 2 days and more,,,with an exercising and weight loss program, it will help out both with my recreational fishing and tournament fishing,,,keep in mind, being in shape can greatly reduce injuries from occuring.

Excellent post, Scott. I definitely agree. I have recently started taking Karate again and got a full workout regimen with free weights here at the house. I weighed myself today and after working out for 2 months I have gained 5-10 pounds. It is kind of discouraging, but I can see a definite increase in my stamina while doing cardio. I am trying to cut down on my carb intake and increase my protein. It is easier for me to have someone helping out with motivation. Karate gives me that extra "kick" to keep going when I want to call it quits. I know that kayaking that bait out in rough water can wear you out and sometimes I had to do it nearly a dozen times a day. Trudging through the sand for hours on end can be tiring as well.

I think exercising is a well overlooked requirement for the consistently successful fisherman. BTW, you and CG are the hardest working fisherman I have fished with.

Sam, that is a good kind of weight gain,,,initially, weight gain comes with lifting.

Well, that is good news. It is funny. When I was young *teenager* I was very skinny. Like 140 pounds until I was 19. I still see myself as "too" skinny. When I see myself in pictures, I think, "man, I didn't know I was that big". Most of the time I am looking at my stomach rolls or my double chin. haha... Oh well, I guess it doesn't get any easier from here on out. I just love to eat too much.

9_19_05_014_125.jpg.17968b9ba5150b1c66a5

I try to lift everyday.

I lift big scoops of ice cream out of the tub every day..

Those scoops must weigh at least a pound or two.

With the bowl included it's got to be 5 pounds.

If I switch to a bigger bowl I'll be able to lift more weight.

:shock::shock:

Wish I could do the "other" lifting but the shoulder is blown out at this point in time.

(yeah Sam, from THAT day)

CRASH!

:lol: I am glad you guys are taking my advice :lol: ,,too funny