which scavenger did I eat?   23 members have voted

1. 1. which scavenger did I eat?

• skate
    • spiney dogfish
    • regular dogfish

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

Alright, me and pop were fishing 2 days ago on the beach when he read an article out of the coastal fisherman about a certain fish that is very good table fare. We were fishing for ling and ended keeping one along with the ling. I deep freid it with JO batter mix...all I can say it was excellent. Now I know there arent a large variety of fish out there now so you already know it's not the usual fish but probably one of the two scavangers:

I have had all three, but considering you have told me you don't know how to clean a skate.....I am guessing the doggie

Too cold for regular doggies I would guess... and I can't see you deep frying a skate... Then again, that is a better poll starter having eaten skate...

I'm gonna guess Spiney.

I'll go with the skate. I mention it every time I fish with Coop.....

Soooo awesome!!!!

I don't care as long as there is one less for me to catch! I'm glad you liked it, keep more.

I dont consider a Skate a fish even though they are, I hear that they are good but have never indulged. I would guess the Spiney.

I've had enough, Scott... Curiosity has gotten the best of me! :icon_tongue:

I've had enough, Scott... Curiosity has gotten the best of me! :icon_tongue:

yeah.... what gives.....

spiney doggie,,,it's whats for dinner. In the article, it refers to spiney doggies to what you get in those fast food resteraunts as "fish and chips". That's exactly what it taste like. I think if you treid one, you would be suprised how good they are. They were definitley not fishy and would think many would consider them bland, but deep freid with a good batter, like the JO batter mix, made them crispy and tasty. Next time you accidentally gut hook one and it may not make it on release, givem a shot, I don't think you will be dissapointed. Next on the list, skate,,,yummy?

spiney doggie,,,it's whats for dinner. In the article, it refers to spiney doggies to what you get in those fast food resteraunts as "fish and chips". That's exactly what it taste like. I think if you treid one, you would be suprised how good they are. They were definitley not fishy and would think many would consider them bland, but deep freid with a good batter, like the JO batter mix, made them crispy and tasty. Next time you accidentally gut hook one and it may not make it on release, givem a shot, I don't think you will be dissapointed. Next on the list, skate,,,yummy?

I have had both spiney and smooth and they are tasty!!! also great when you gut and bleed them right on the beach and grill them skin side down...amazing!

I've never caught either.

Does anyone have a picture ? I see you guys refer to them all the time but don't know what they are.

Unfortunately, I am familiar w/ skates.

Thanks,

Ex

Family Squalidae, DOGFISH SHARKS

SPINY DOGFISH

(Squalus acanthias)

Common names: dogfish, sand shark

dogfishshark-1.jpg

Description: Spiny dogfish are gray to slate brown with a pale or white belly. They can be differentiated from other small sharks by a row of small white dots running along their sides. If these dots are faded or absent, which can happen with older dogfish, a distinctive single spine found in front of each of their two dorsal fins can be used as an additional identifying feature. The bodies of these fish are slender and their heads slope to a blunt snout. In size, adult females can reach lengths of 3 1/2 feet and weigh around 8 pounds, while males are normally smaller in size.

Where found: inshore and offshore

Similar Gulf of Maine species: smooth dogfish

Remarks: Spiny dogfish are voracious eaters, preying on a variety of sea creatures, such as squid, shrimp and crabs, along with almost any species of fish that they can swallow. They mostly travel in large schools made of approximately equal size fish. These fish are known to winter in offshore waters and show up in the Gulf of Maine during the late spring or early summer. They are usually found in water depths ranging from surface waters to 600 feet.

Record: MSSAR: vacant

IGFA All-Tackle World Record: 15 lbs. 12 oz.

here is a little one i caught this fall

doggie2.jpg.9ec96a39ef668ac2b2782e20b1f3

Looks like a smoothy to me.

yeah that is a smoothy.... you snapped that pic Sam

I thought that looked like my headlight! :D

And dont' forget, they have sharp teeth, unlike the smoothies.

5852a4f5c67a9_11-27-05030.jpg.b03dd3acc1

normal_california_and_AI_pix_017.jpg.9f7

and that spine will get you if you are not careful....I was out with Bob and my buddy Chris and I got stuck with one of the spines and bled all the way back to the dock!!!!

hey!! I thought u said not to tell anyone?!?!lol