44 posts in this topic

:D Well, winter is here,,,there maybe a fish out there for those hardy souls that want to put in the time,,,you never know :?: ,,,If your not fishing, now is the time to get your gear ready for spring.

I hope everyone has a great 2006!

Yep, I hear the small door challenged x chromosone belting out a melody.

(x, right?)

Time to start on the truck projects.

And I finally got the two foot thick brick of ice out of the bed...

I despise snow followed by an ice storm. :evil:

:D Decided to hit the beach after work,,,what a great day,,,sunny and mild for January,,,to my suprise, I caught 3 fish, 22", 19" and a 26",,,water looked real fishy with a good swell rolling in,,,used clams,,,stopped by watermans on the way back and purchased 3 more dozen for tomorrow,,,what a great way to start out the year!,,,btw, stayed till dark and no sea maggots :D .

jantruck_406.jpg.985d380d1d68a2873ae8f9d

janstriper_122.jpg.b9b1814611a6187b250e1

Great job man! I gave it up till spring. Awesome. :D

EDIT:

I'll have to get out the gear, do you mind if I tag along? What time are you heading out?

May not be time to quit yet. They landed a couple of 40lb fish from the surf in NJ in the last week and one guy came into the shop after being spooled.

I'm trying to talk myself into doing HI this weekend. If I see one more good report I think I'll be there....if not I'll do AI

:D Caught 5 stripers today, ranging from 20" - 25" using clams,,,it was cold, breezy and cloudy today,,,water temp was 45*,,,just looked at the extended forecast, more warm weather towards next week :D ,,,south winds next week and warm air may boost our temps up a little,,,is it possible that this action will continue,,,it's January and seems to be plenty of fish in the surf :shock:.

birdclam_419.jpg.542acae28ab7611467191b0

jan6striper_141.jpg.411787da2767354c2a69

Wow, and at low tide as well? Cool thing...

sam, I caught that one on the incoming,,,you should come out next week,,,forecasted temps at the end of the week will be close to 60*, of course thats a long way off,,,there is no way I am calling it quits yet,,,I would love to catch one of these over 28" in January.

2jan6striper_110.jpg.97b1c32b2a6d1edd802

Awesome to still be catchin em this time of year! 8) Maybe those Jersey fish are headin south? What kind of clams you using Coop :?:

I still can't beleive I am catching fish in January,,,I have been fishing in the exact same spot for over 4 weeks now and have been into fish,,,very strange :? ,,,I am definitely not complaining,,,I have been using regular chowder clams that come out of our back bay,,,also called qauhogs,,,they are very large and get them at watermans on route 50 just before 611,,,2.50 a dozen,,,they seem to love them!,,,looking for one over 28" and will continue to fish until the skunks start coming.

If I lived as close, I'd be out there too Scott.

You go GETUM!!

:D:):o:lol::!:

I got 6 stripers from 23-26 inches on of all things ancient frozen bunker that the shop gave me when I bought a new reel. Not a hit on clams or the old peelers they gave me. Coop did you move from below me up to the ORV line?

Hey Drifter, Congrats on the catches and on a new reel to boot! :D,,,thats a great way to break her in,,,didn't fish yesterday,,,hung out with my family all day yesterday,,,planning on fishing after and before work, wednesday through friday,,,I hope they stay there,,,the rats seem to have been thick in the surf for over a month now,,,there has to be one over 28" out there,,,If your clams were frozen, they may have come off the hook,,,after the clam has thawed, I could never keep it on the hook,,,I may take some frozen bunker this week in case the water is murky along with some fresh clams,,,one problem I think with clams is if the water is cloudy,,,in cloudy water, I think they use there sense of smell and a good slimy, smelly bunker would be the way to go,,,when the water is semi clear, they can use there sight and clams should work if the fish are there,,,clams have a smell but I don't think from a smelling stand point, they are as good as bunker,,,I would always prefer fresh bunker over anything else,,,I wish I would have frozen some fresh bunker.

Isn't great,,,catching fish in January :D !,,,if we have a mild winter, maybe they will stay here.

It was a fun day, non-the-less!

I wanna head out too. I really wanted to go today, but it didn't happen.

OK stop tempting me it can be real easy to pull one rod out :( and go right now I dont care if there are fish out there I just want to get out.( hay not a bad thought might just take a ride )

Hit the surf in the am,,,water temp was only 44,,,no fish and no hits.

Who says you have to go to the obx this time of year to get some pull,,,started around 9am in search of schoolie size stripers (water temp a tad under 45*) at the spot that has been good since the end of November,,,after a couple hours of nothing, made a move south,,,sat there for an hour and wasn't happy with that spot and made one last move,,,fog was as thick as pea soup, it was like a white night out there,,,after 3pm the fog lifted and it was as beautiful and clear as it can get this time of year,,,it felt more like early November than the middle of January,,,Sam came down and joined me in the late afternoon and asked me if I had any luck,,,told him, not even a nibble,,,in fact, just before Sam arrived, I thought about throwing in the towel, but we started chatting for a while and decided to hang out longer,,,right around 3:30, I finally caught a schoolie size striper, 23",,,like previuos times of catching small stripers I figured I would be into some small stripers,,,as soon as I let that fish go Sam motioned to me about my other rod,,,it wiggled just like a schoolie would but when I went to pull her in she put on a little gas and actually made a little run,,,whoa!,,,pulled her in some more and she still took a little line, not much, just enough that I knew she was going to be a hefty one,,,she swam north and I had to go under all three of my other lines as she traveled,,,she was on the surface fighting most of the time,,,what a sight considering it's January 12th and have been catching fish throughout the winter,,,what a great 2006 for stripers,,,took her to bucks to get weighed,,,according to there scale she weighed 23lbs and was a tad over 38",,,not my longest fish but definetly one that goes down as one of my best!,,,more so for the time of year she was caught,,,Life is good!,,,BTW, took water temp after I caught her,,,43*,,,Sam, I was going to throw in the towell for the rest of the winter

, not a chance,,,I think I will fish into next week if the weather continues to be good,,,bring your rod next time!

first pic is after the fog lifted,,,a great late afternoon!

jan12surf_113.jpg.66b145a6792b9690b3996b

jan12striper_189.jpg.37686a5b859107fd9dc