Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Mighty Quinn

Fishing Line

13 posts in this topic

Saw this topic on another board and would like to hear what the A.I. fishermen have to say. What line do you prefer for surf fishing?

I like mono better simply because the braid doesn't seem to hold up when it rubs against the surf bottom. Shells and braid don't mix. Mono stretches too, which it good.

I like mono 17lb and 20lb suf tritanium,,,never tried braid.

30 lb power pro on my 10' rods and switched to 50 lb on my 12' after recently losing a big fish that spooled me.

Thanks for the feeedback guys. I currently use mono but have heard alot of fishermen say they like Power Pro with a leader. I have heard that you don't want to use it where abrasion is a issue but have heard you can get more distance with it (even though I think distance is overrated at AI) and it is more sensitive. I might put some on one of my reels this spring to see how it does.

30 lb power pro on my 10' rods and switched to 50 lb on my 12' after recently losing a big fish that spooled me.

If he spooled ya, why did you go with a stronger line? I would think you would have less line with a higher lb test. There are some monsters out there! I have one reel with over a mile on it. I use 1500 yards of 60 lb PP with a few hundred yards of 50 lb mono.

The heavier line on my 12' extraheavy will allow me to turn a bigger fish hence preventing a good spooling. When I get said fish in it won't be so worn out that I have to keep it. 8)

I use Ande line. The guy I bought my squidders from said it was one of the best for the surf. Seemed to hold up just fine for me. I did use some braid but I don't like it in the surf. I have braid on all my muskie reels in freshwater. As long as your not around rocks/gravel/sand, braid is terrific line.

A question on the braid for you guys. I won't even think of going muskie fishing with anything less than 65 pound power pro, a lot of guys use 80 or 100 pound line. Why do so many use 30 or 50 in the surf? Seems light to me.

Don't need much line with this one...

If you hook onto something that breaks this, you wouldn't want to beach it anyway!

winch-1.jpg

But for the smaller stuff, like blues, I like Ande 30#.

The sharks swin through the braid and cut it all too often.

I have 65 & 85# braid on a couple of Daiwas.

Most expensive mistake I made last year.

From now on, Ande green mono 30# for regular feesh.

For toothy critters, see above post or 3000 yards of 60# Ande on a P115.

Was just at Bass Pro Shop in Arundel today drooling on everything.

Steve, 30# mono?,,,Sounds a little heavy for regular surf fishing.

For Stripers, large blues and Drum: 17-20# Mono

For anything smaller 10-12# Mono

For Sharks: 40-60# Mono/Braid Combo

This is my line in general.

Yeah, the 30 was put on for the FL fishes, Cuda and such, I use it on my close-in tosser at AI I have Ande 17 for regular stuff and heavers.

I have everything from 6# to 80# loaded on reels.