22 posts in this topic

I love fishing more than any other hobby. I think offshore fishing could be much more fun for me if I didn't get so SICK! Does anyone here have any advise for getting my sea legs a little faster? I have tried the usual medication, but it makes me so sleepy and dizzy, that it takes away from the fun. I have heard ginger helps... :?:

Try ginger pills, you can get them at asian food stores.

Worked for the Mythbusters.

I always get sick on a boat while fishing and have tried most of the cures but this may help. A few years ago 4 of us went salmon fishing to one of the great lakes. 3 of the guys took ginger tablets and I took Dramamine II I was the only one that didn't get sick. The only down side was I couldn't stop eating, glad no one wanted their lunches. Dramamine always made me sleepy but Dramamine II did't. They do make a Dramamine that is a none drousy formula. Hope this helps.

i have 2 ways

1. i just get it over with and get sick, then im fine.

2. beer

Yup, beer works wonders.....so does the other option...just getting it over with. I think the Dramamine and other drugs have some side effects that are almost as bad as being sea sick to begin with LOL

I've only been sea-sick once (when I was in the Coast Guard, long story) and I told myself, "self, never again" and its worked, have not had any problems since that 1978 "Hurricane inspired SAR" off Hatteras. now, other people I fish wth have had good luck eating "Saltine crackers & Gatorade" and 2 people I know have had luck wth the grey strap that snaps around your wrist and works off a pressure point :?:

Ginger works well. Drink a cup of ginger tea and take a ginger pill 1/2 hr before you get on the boat. Dramamine sucks, as it wipes you out. The saltines and gatorade are a good idea as well. Also, while on the boat, keep your eyes focused on the horizon.

The ginger altoids are an interesting idea. Bring along some of the minty ones too, as mint is a natural cure for nausea. When you start feeling queasy, open the tin of mints, and smell them, that should start to relieve you immediately at least enough to eat a few.

Go out and buy some Ginger tablets. Take 2-3-4 tabs about 2 hrs before you go out.

If you have a light stomach - you should not be drinking beer the night before and eat plain foods through the day. It take 24 hrs for your body to digest your food so, the food you ate the day before will be what may or may not kill you.

No Milk

No OJ

No Grease

Try taking a Bodene (or Bodine .. Not sure ) tablet also. This won't make you sleep. They say the wrist bans work also..

If you ever feel youself getting sick (if you take a stab at going out) - Go to the center of the boat and look for some good air.

Ryan

PS- Site looks nice Sam. Good luck

right there with you Sam.... I get sick everytime...... but once the fish start hitting I try forget all about it, never tried ginger, going to have to. Can't tell you how many times I have had to be hosed off from puking while reeling in a fish(wont give up the rod). the other thing that works for me, go take a short nap. seems to let my body adjust to the motion. the bands help but don't make it go away. and once you are sick beer is a good rinse but hits the stomach funny for a little while.

oh yeah dry starchy foods are good, NO GREASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like plain bagels.

Go out and buy some Ginger tablets. Take 2-3-4 tabs about 2 hrs before you go out.

If you have a light stomach - you should not be drinking beer the night before and eat plain foods through the day. It take 24 hrs for your body to digest your food so, the food you ate the day before will be what may or may not kill you.

No Milk

No OJ

No Grease

Try taking a Bodene (or Bodine .. Not sure ) tablet also. This won't make you sleep. They say the wrist bans work also..

If you ever feel youself getting sick (if you take a stab at going out) - Go to the center of the boat and look for some good air.

Ryan

PS- Site looks nice Sam. Good luck

Very good informatin, Ryan. Thanks :)

I'm the one on the boat who has to do the Saltines and green gatorade. Since a lot on sea sickness is brought on by your equilibrium being off, if you have sinus problems, it makes it worse. I have had real good luck lately by taking some Advil or Tylenol Cold and Sinus about 1/2 hr-45 mins before we put the boat in the water.

The bands that hit the pressure points didn't work at all for me.

Spotting something stationary does work, but try finding that a couple miles offshore. And ya gotta stay in the good air. If it's a smaller boat that has a cuddy, don't go down inside. The wave action is worse and not too much ventilation.

Hope this helps. When we come down for vacation, I'm going to try the ginger if he wants to go offshore. I'm good in the back bay and inlet.

When we come down for vacation, I'm going to try the ginger if he wants to go offshore.

wadda' ya' meen IF:eusa_eh: my middle name is "Offshore":cool:

Thanks for the advice I have to try the ginger pills. I can go on Whale watches, dinner crusies, drift in the bays in a 16 footer and not have a problem but put me on a fishin boat and I get Sick big time Some body told me it could be from exhaust fumes and to stay out of the cabin. I don't know the reality of that but hey you never know

I did a search for Ginger What size (Mg) capsule of the Ginger I also found Ginger Gum specifically reccomended for Nausea anybody tried that

Oh Boy... Not sure.

I will look this weekend when I head down to the boat for our 4am departure at the dock!

I remembered getting them at WalMart but, if I remember there was a few.

About 4 weeks ago we headed out to the poor mans in 8-11' seas and I grabbed a handful and threw 'em down. Knock on wood.. I've never been sea sick but, when I woke up and saw the waves were as tall as the flybridge I knew this was NOT RIGHT and swallowed what I could!

I'll check for ya

Ryan

8'-11- seas... I don't think anything would work. WOW

I have found that once it gets that big you are more concerned with hanging on than getting sick.(at least at first.) We hit a typhoon off the Sea of Japan while I was on the Connie and yikes there were occasionally 60' swells some even bigger:eusa_pray: . the sick didn't set in for a couple hours. I wish I could find the picture of the elevator deck edge I took the morning after 18" solid steel twisted like an empty beer can. Had to strap yourself in your bunk and on a carrier that is unheard of.

we were nuts for leaving the dock. It wasn't bad inshore but, right around the lumpy's it got snotty and we were 1/2 way there.

Got out there - threw the lines out and it calmed down around 12'ish. I did say to myself a few times - WTF am I doing out here.

If you look at the pictures - It's amazing to see how quick the seas laid down.

Threw 10 YF in the box that day.. so, it was well worth the nail biting!

best cure for seasickness, is to stand uder a tree

best cure for seasickness, is to stand uder a tree

haha... Welcome aboard, Flukie.

I'd be laying under the tree.....

Welcome to the board Flukie!

I'd be laying under the tree.....

Welcome to the board Flukie!

umm, I thought that was for lightning:eusa_think: not pukin':shock:

if I had to strap myself to my rack on a US Navy Aircraft Carrier, Id be on the fisrt plane outta' there:D