5 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me out on this? Right now I just do the snap cast thing. I would like to try the ofg and hatteras casts. Or anything else you guys think I should try. Gotta practice up for next season!

I use the ofg cast,,,I just leave the wieght on the sand behind me and leave about 4'-6' of line out,,,I create tension in the line behind me and let it rip,,,just recently started casting like this and have a noticed a increase in my distance,,,I have tried the hatteras cast but timing seems to be off, and more importantly, I get some seriuos birds nests,,,I never tried it with a spinning reel,,,I think hatteras outfitters has a video of the hatteras cast on there web site.

Thanks Coop,

I think I will try the otg cast and see how that works out. Coop, I have noticed you throw conventional gear. Do you lay the line on the spool in straight coils on the retrieve? Or do you crisscross the line. I have heard that if you crisscross the line on the reel during the retrieve that you will get more distance and reduce backlashes. Thanks!

If you wanna know how to cast far, take lessons from Coop, ErikE and CG.

I just got 2 nice stiff rods from Harbor Tackle. I have noticed a definate increase in distance because of the rods. Good luck!

esoxangler, I lay the line in straight coils nice and even,,,I have been using conventional for a year and havent tried the criss cross pattern,,,blow ups happen but not very often, however, there are days where I have no sense of rythm and get some serious blow ups,,,I think a smooth power cast is critical for no blow ups,,,once you get jerky and timing gets screwed up you can end up with a nest,,,when I get tired late in the evening I tend to get a blow up now and then,,,I remember fishing with Sam for the first time and had blow up after blow up with my reel,,,It became quite comical,,,to say the least, I was quite embarrased,,,birds nest happen but I love conventional and will never go back to spinning for slinging bait from the shore.

I agree with Sam,,,rods can make a great difference in casting distance,,,I have some good economy rods and love them.