16 posts in this topic

would you support a salt water license?

i would. the money could help fund more rangers, help cut down on all the poachers.

would you support a boat operators license, complete with test?

i would. if you dont agree with it hit assawoman bay 4th of july weekend

almost forgot

what about a beach driving license?

with all the talk about lost access, maybe a course in the do and donts would be helpful and help keep the tourons from tearing things up?

I believe I would support a liscense, if the money would be well spent. I would also go along with your other suggestions. The question is would the money be spent wisely?

Also I wouldn't mind stricter size and creel limits.

I have no problem of supporting a saltwater license if the funds are going to be spent productively and are truly needed after exhausting other possibilities, for example, after proper budgeting and fiscal planning,,,the problem is that most times funds, such as taxes, are improperly spent and managed.

I think a boaters license is a good idea,,,safety is a big issue and many folks new to boating havent got the foggiest clue on how to operate a boat in heavy traffic,,,with boating traffic increasing every year, there should be some kind of test,,,even just a written test would educate many new comers to boating.

As far as a beach driving license, not for that, but do agree with receiving info on the do's and dont's of beach driving when purchasing the permit,,,In fact would support a slight increase in the permits "if" the funds went towards educating for those driving and fishing on the beach,,,I think many drivers abuse the beach with there driving antics.

there have been discussions on other boards, so i figured i'd poll here.

Too many ifs, coulds, maybe, etc about this issue. Im sure someday there will be a license. There is always a more more more mental state in this country concerning government mandated taxes. I dont think anyone should be saying we need this , we need that , all the while pointing a finger at my wallet... :evil:..That is a complete lack of respect.. :twisted:

I think we need another "Boston Tea Party". :)

Salt Water License? - Not really ready for that just yet although I believe it's coming. There aren't many things left in this world that are free.

Boating License?- This is probably a good idea. However, I think most young people already have to take a boating safety course before they can operate a boat. Part of the problem in O.C. is that there is so much skinny water most of the boats are forced to operate in relative close proximity to each other. From my experience, it is the large sport fishing boats that come through the inlet on plane that are the most dangerous. They throw a 3-4 ft steep wake that if not taken side-to can easily swamp a 20 ft boat. I think some common sense and courtesy could go a long way around O.C. Fortunately, the DNR expanded the 6mph zone around the tip of Assateague and the western end of the inlet. Smartest thing they ever did.

Beach Driving License?- No way. Not willing to pay any extra to Assateague at this time. The 145 vehicle limit sits in my crawl and has been a sore issue with me for a long time. We pay $70 a year for the offroad pass and $20 for the annual pass and cannot get on the beach on the weekend unless we get there by 8:30. That's not a problem for me but I have three small children and we have to travel a 1/2 hour to get there. To beat all.. when you get on, you see that, in some places, vehicles are spaced 1/4-1/2 mile apart. Ok, I'll get off my soapbax now.

Just my .02 :D

here are some of the reasons for my madness in my thoughts.

saltwaterfishing license - i already buy one for the bay, so it could cover the ocean side, wouldnt really bother me.

boaters license - yeah a safety course is needed, but i dont think some of those renters have them, and they are short on common sense also. or maybe just make the jet skiers take a 1 week course, they seam to be the worse.

beach license - with all the reduced access on the east coast i figured it would help thin the heard. the person who comes down once or twice a year will not want to bother. opening spots for those that area there more often. as well as instruct the new people the right way to drive without tearing things up. maybe helping increase access.

any of that make sense?

Boating, yes, a licensed COURSE required but not a license.

Jetskis too.

Beach License?

Nope, no license.

Ain't gonna', don't wanna', hum-bug!

As for "thinning out the herd" by eliminating the guy that brings his kids down once or twice a year....

You get the double whammy from me on that one.

That "guy" is the one bustin' his backside taking care of his family, planning a beach trip for the kids, packing everything up and driving to the beach. First, he gets hit with the high fuel cost in any metropolitan area.

Second, he'll probably have to pay to cross the CB bridge.

Now he arrives at the shore and pays a high cost for a vacation rental, additional food that will wind up sitting in the trash when he goes home. He'll have to buy bait and gear, pay ten bucks to hit AI for ONE DAY and NOW you want to slap him with an additional TAX?????

Uh-uuh, no way....

Oh yeah, by the way buddy, come see us next year, we'll have 365 days to invent another tax for ya!

Nuff said...

Change back from a nickle, 3 cents....

Ahhh.. A lot of different opinions on this. I like it.

I have a lot to learn about how taxes effect our economy. Recently, I have come to realize that this is the best country in the world. We do pay a lot in taxes, much more than we would like and there is plenty of "pork barrel spending" going on... That being said, I love the fact that I can rest in peace at night. Also, I can fish freely. I'm not for new taxes, but... I think Coop summed it up nicely. We need to spend the money where it is needed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the guy who comes down twice a year... Whenever I see a beach rig without fishing equipment I wonder to myself, what are they thinking? :lol:

Let them have their hot, summer day on the sand. I'll fish at night after they leave. 8)

I totally agree with Coop. There are problems with the application of funds "generated". Too many times, the fees will go into a general fund and can be spent on something else. For the Feds, it's a huge system. The 70 bucks collected for ORV can be thrown into a general fund and be allocated to a chain saw in Oregon. For a State license the funds could be spent on repaving a road in who-knows-where.

Let's create a hypothetical chain:

AI National Seashore collects let's say $2.1M in fees and fines in a given year. The money gets tossed into a big Federal cooking pot. The park is allocated $1.6M for operational costs. Where did the additional $500k go?

It didn't go to hiring more Rangers or improving the park, it went to some far flung place to pay for another Federal program. The State does it the same way.

Any funds that are collected that are over the allocation should stay in the park to make it better. Goodness knows they need to improve the bathrooms and showers, no doubt. They could use some enforcement against the weekend warrior clipping through at 40 mph, passing 10 feet from your poles.

In reality, the park(s) probably collect LESS than their allocation. But I just don't see them giving the park more money if they incite another tax on the users.

Kids have great memories of their time at the beach.

The mom or dad that brings them once or twice a year don't need to battle the "Queen's Tax Collector" just to create those memories. I want those kids to remember the place and cherish it when they grow up. It's entirely possible that the momories of the beach trip can be taxed out of existence.

Hire one Ranger for every 3 mile stretch and PATROL IT! I for one, don't mind seeing the Rangers, I've had many visits from them and nice conversations, they're nice people. The fines collected from the idiots will more than pay the salaries. Alas, but here we go again with the big cooking pot.....

Let's keep the memories alive for the next generation that will take care of our beloved shoreline.

well when you put it that way steve i can see your point. i wasnt think of the kids. i was thinking of the guy running up and down the beach showin off to his girl. climbin dunes, ect. you know the type im talking about.

but i wouldnt want to hurt the family man. maybe just a mandatory course, showing the dos and donts.

Steve is the guy running up and down the dunes showing off for the girls! :lol:

davemusclebeach-1.jpg

Yeah, I am that guy Sam. But it's on foot to take pics of the sunset.

BTW, that's an old pic of me, need a newer one?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We need Rangers to get off their duff and out of the office and catch the dune running clowns. I don't wanna' hear any BS budget excuses, get out there and do the job you were hired for or find another job!