15 posts in this topic

So folks, are there any facts to support the theory that the moon's phases directly affect fish behavior?

Who has had luck from the surf during full moon phase? New moon phase? Do you notice any trends?

Regardless, I am going fishing Sunday - Tuesday becuase the weather looks decent. Just wondering what you guys thought.

Steve

full moon=bad fishing in my experience...another reason that I moved my trip this weekend. I hope I'm wrong :icon_thumleft: .

Ben hit it.

Full moon = icon13gif-1.jpg

I'm going anyway......lol

Biggest striper I've caught (40") was from the surf during a west wind, on a full moon.... Crazy things happen though.

I beleive in it, I hunted and fished for years and an old outdoorsman of the family use to talk about "the hour of animal activity" and you can see this even in human behavior. ie: you eat, then your body slows down to digest the food, so you rest, then your hungry again and eat, rest and repeat this several times durring the 24 hr cycle. (humans are not the excact model for this because we watch tv, play on the computer and hunt/fish):dark1:

on my GPS unit there is a menu for solar, tides & moon phases and it give's you the best times for fishing/hunting and good times to fish/hunt. I've used this featue many, many times and its been accurate to wth in an hour or so of what it predicts.:icon_thumright:

sorry, had to step away and actually work for a min:icon_wink:

now fishing durring a full moon is another anomally(sp) as fish will gourge themselves at night feeding as the full moon "lights-up" the bait & prey and fishing the daytime after is bad because they've eaten all night. some of MY best fishing has come at night, under a Full Moon:happy9:

so I don't believe on ANY 1 thing to be responsible but many factors that influnce the behavior of animals. ie: sun, moon, tides and weather

Based on what I've read, New Moon is best.

Here's the crazy post.....

I read something many years back about a town in Utah called Moondance.

Supposedly at every full moon all the animals stand on their hind legs and dance at the moon.

i believe Randy hit it - it is a factor, but just ONE factor out of many. That's why fishing isn't an exact science. Too many variables to consider and we only know about half of them. :dontknow:

So when the moon is full then the fishing is _____________

ANSWER: Depends on whats on the end of your line when you reel it in!:bootyshake:

last night... fishing was slow... but they did eat... very few fish but very nice size...

all that said full moon sucks...:glasses11: just can't get over that bright thing in the sky...

I don't have enough experience yet it salt water but have heard that stripers don't like the light of a full moon.

freshwater fishing I look for a new moon. three days before and after. New moons are usually better than fulls in freshwater. Some full moons can be pretty good, usually the spring and fall ones. The day of the first quarter can/is pretty hot also!

I've done very well during the Full Moon phase.. the water is a tad bit higher during the high and low tides which in my opinion brings the feesh in a bit closer.

My first drum ever was caught the second weekend in October (full moon phase). Caught the biggest catch and size of croakers on a full moon. Biggest bluefish caught on a full moon. Caught the most keeper striper on a full moon... recently - 11-3 through 11-5 caught 5 stripers 22 - 25 in the ChesBay.

Everyone has their opinion and I'm stick'n w/ the Full Moon does it big for me.

Off the subject... heard some big blues are being caught up in Delaware, would that mean that there may be some big blues out at AI right now?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread... just a question.

Moon rise and set can definitely have a dramatic effect on the fishing... Spent 5 days on Martha's Vineyard this fall and the best striper bite I found began every night (mid-tide) with the setting of the moon.

Still you never know. If its the right time of the year, fish may just show up whenever. Surprizingly enough I caught 7 fish last thursday night under that bright moon, and didn't expect to do much at all. I used to try and plan trips around the moons, but anymore Spring and Fall = fish whenever you can in my book.:icon_thumright:

but anymore Spring and Fall = fish whenever you can in my book.:icon_thumright:

ya sure got that right..... :3gears::cya: