241 posts in this topic

clear.gif

By popular request, I am starting a thread on the 2006 AI Sharking get together.

The tentative date is Friday July 8th. High tide will be around 6:40 PM, so it should give us some good afternoon/night sharking. Hopefully, we will have a decent wind and no bugs. Yaks will be allowed, but not required. There will be prizes for the largest and most sharks. More details to come!

Let me know what you think. :D

so this is the first anual delmarva fishing.com shark tourney?

i think you need to call a few papers and have them cover it!

No excuses, Steve. You have almost 8 months in advance notice... :? :lol:

Okay... Now that we are all thinking about this, lets think about it for a second. Lets say we ARE allowed to have this tournament. What if someone up the beach gets bit? Do you think we could be held responsible for "baiting" these man eaters in to shore? Granted, they are there anyway and the main thing on their diet is fish, the tourists won't understand or care. Personally, I would feel responsible. I just want some opinions on this. Maybe we should have a "kingfish" tournament with prizes for "other" fish?

:lol:

Okay, lets hear it.

hhmmm, do you use tuna heads and giant size hooks for kingfish?

maybe you can say your having the first ever beach based marlin tourney? :lol:

Sam, I think you are right,,,liabilty could be a problem,,,rather than having a tournament, we would all get together and have a pool,,,longest animal gets the loot,,,we will have a cookout and would basically have a atlanticanglers.com get together along with some good sharking fun with a little wagering!,,,everyone should bring thier families and spouses,,,start at noon and go right into the night,,,we would have to get there early to stake out a block of beach close to the orv entrance. I dont think permission would be needed since its really just a beach party and good fun :D .

Coop, I'm thinking thats the way to go. If it is not a tournament, I can fish too! :D

BTW, Roger, I was just kidding about the kingfish tournament, although, that might be another idea! Hmmm... We could have one. I LOVE fresh kingfish.

Ahhh, non-sanctioned/supported, eh?

I was thinking we would have sponsors that would do all the legal paperwork. Might want to see if we can get someone to cover the insurance.

July 8 seems early to me. I would think of later july. But I think the best thing to do would be to check lunar phases and have it on a full moon which is right where it is. Would August be better? I Remember talking to Erik back in August about having a bunch of people get together for a week of serious sharking. I am mixed up about the idea about a tournament. I guess what I really think is that we should have a lot of people get together and just see how it goes and if it works out well and is a success then maybe persue a tournament next year. that seems the most logical to me. Either way, I am in 100%

Sam,

Count me in on any outing you want to have! Without a yak I will have to work on my casting distance! I will be there. Let me know what to bring...

Sorry guys, that last post was from esoxangler. I didn't realize I was not logged in.

Sounds good would love to try some sharkin. the thing about shark bites your would think is that its a public beach and swimming at your own risk we would be rec. fishing witch is allowed so I can't see were there would be a problem (IMHO) but as said best to check in to it. Let me others know in what ways we all can help out in putting this togeather don't mind doing anthing thing to help :D

David

Thanks David. Any ideas and unsolicited help is appreciated. I will make some calls to Assateague after Jan 1.

I've got the bug bad. I've been spending my spare time in my room making rigs up until midnight and getting up at 4:30 for work. I need help bad...or another fix...LMAO

Do you have a rod & reel yet? A yak?

Request a Bass Pro Shops saltwater catalog, that will ease your pain.

Or make it worse.... :lol:

We're all right there with ya!

I have a couple sharking setups. I have a 4/0 and a 9/0. I don't have a yak but I am a good swimmer. I have a 10' custom heaver that i got for my 15th birthday and I am picking up a new diawa shv30 whenever it gets to the bass pro store. I ordered it last tuesday and they messed up and forgot to send it from the other store. the diawa shv's are on sale for $99 but you better move quick because when I caled there were only 4 left in the company! I think Bass pro is gonna stop selling them because I went on saturday to check on my reel and picked up the new 2006 catalog (I haven't even got it in the mail yet) and when I looked for the reel it isn't in the catalog. They also have their ocean master surf rods on sale. you can get a new heaver for $90. The new cape point special is $150 and if you ask me it isn't worth the extra 60 bucks. It is the same rod without a grip and with a new reel seat (that doesn't look to good to me) only to be a couple ounces lighter.

I highly recommend against swimming out with the shark bait/hook. It would be far too easy to nail yourself with the hook or get caught up in the line.

At least get a boogie board to stick the hook in while taking it out.

I highly recommend against swimming out with the shark bait/hook. It would be far too easy to nail yourself with the hook or get caught up in the line.

At least get a boogie board to stick the hook in while taking it out.

Or your leg, right Steve? :lol: