51 posts in this topic

Headed down to A.I. October 21-22. What type of fish can I expect to be running this time of year?

Was down on 9/18. Caught 1 Kingfish (14"), 1 blue (16") and 1 smally Porgy.

Any suggestions for rigs? What weight sinkers will hold botton this time of year? Thanks!

Steve

Stripers and blues.

Use a bunker noggin on a 6/0 circle hook and fishfinder.

Weight depends on sea conditions. Use the least amount of lead to hold bottom.

I see alot of people swear by the FF setup, sort of like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1175&d=1159225606

My question is, on the 100lb mono leader (which I am going at least 5"), should I be using a floater on there to keep the chunk bunker off the bottom?

Steve

Steve - (another Steve?!? That makes...ummm...4 of us??? hehe)

Anway, Even (I'll call you that for clarity) - most people don't use floats on FF rigs for any one of these reasons (depending on the target species, usually all of them)

#1 - fish could shy away from it - bait isn't natural looking

#2 - fish could be a bottom oriented feeder

#3 - wind resistance when casting

However, if fishing for a species that you don't believe would be deterred by a float (aka blue fish), you can use a float to draw attention to the bait and keep it away from crabs and skates..... Most cases, this would be a non-fishfinder rig such as a fireball or mullet rig....

If I'm loosing a lot of bait to crabs and skates I go with a float. It doesn't seem to be a problem with blue fish and sharks. The one big down side as trowpa pointed out is it does cut down on casting distance.

Wow. Thanks so much for the quick reply. This forum certainly does provide alot of help and advice.

I am 32, have fished my whole life, and have never caught a striper. Please help to make the weekend of 10/21-10/22 my first Rockfish catch on A.I. !!

I need to figure out these knots to copmplete my rig (how to connect 40# shock lead with remaining line). I need to find a good supplier of beads also that will fit on 40# mono.

Is the idea of the bead so the sinker does not ride up and over the know which you connect the shock lead and remaining line? What kind of know is best for this?

What size barrel swivel would you recommend for a setup with 6-8" - 100# leader, 20' - 40# shock, and 12# remaining line? For a hook, will throw in a 6/0 Circle Octopus. My rod is 8 feet and reel is a Penn (non-conventional).

I am going with this rod for striper and am chunking with bunker and probably leaving the rod in the spike (I get jumpy with it in my hand at times and tend to jerk the circle hook right out).

Thanks for the help!

Steve

You can buy beads at any craft shop. A bag of 1000 is 3 or 4 bucks. Different colors and sizes too. They'll fit heavy line, just look at the opening on the bead before you buy. Far less expensive than buying from a tackle shop.

You can use a 125# barrel.

There was a chart on here before of how to cut a fish for bait if anyone could point me in the right direction.

What is the bait of choice this time of year (fall) for Striper? Clam strips? Bunker? I'm not using live bait, so scratch the eels.

So, if using the circle hooks on a FF rig, I would just cast and let her sit in the spike until I see / hear a strike? Then just start reeling? Quickly? Slowly? Would I let the fish walk me down the beach or do I just hold my ground and try to remain in the same spot with rod tip up and reeling?

Now when the rod is cast out and sitting in the spike, do I just loosen the drag to very loose on my spinner reel so the fish can run a little before setting the hook or do I keep it fairly tight so minimal line is taken out?

Sorry for all the questions. I just think it's time I finally hook into a striper. I'm not getting any younger and I want to give credit to all on this great forum who helped when the day finally arrives and I land one.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Bait,,,bunker chunks, including heads

Change bait every 15 - 20 minutes,,,circles, no setting the hook, let her hit and swallow, if its spiked, by the time you get to the spike, hook should be set,,,use sharp hooks,,,you can hold your ground or walk with her, I think the choice is yours,,,many will say hold your ground, others will say walk down the beach,,,,if she's running down the beach, I am going down the beach with her, with rod tip up and tension at all times.

set the drag,,,not reel loose, some tension, just make sure if a big one gets on, she can run and not take the rod out to sea.

Macungie - you?

Springfield, Delaware County (about 10 miles West of Philly). Not sure where Macungie is.?

Steve

Macungie is just SW of Allentown. I am about 2 miles from Dorney Park. I work in Horsham - a little closer to you. I believe Bohica lives near you as well. Small world - looks like we were both born in 8/74 too ;)

Springfield, Delaware County (about 10 miles West of Philly).

I grew up on Prospect Rd. Left for the beaches (permanently) in 82 and loved it ever since. Welcome to the boards!

Just me but a 6/0 and a head or a good chunk leaves a lot of room to screw up. 8/0-9/0 gammy makes me a little more comfortable. I don't know what size everyone else uses for stripers but big fish need big hooks.

Just me but a 6/0 and a head or a good chunk leaves a lot of room to screw up. 8/0-9/0 gammy makes me a little more comfortable. I don't know what size everyone else uses for stripers but big fish need big hooks.

Ben, I use 12/0 mustad for stripers when using heads,,,they are enormous but they have no problem swallowing the hook and head.

Ben, I use 12/0 mustad for stripers when using heads,,,they are enormous but they have no problem swallowing the hook and head.

see :D big mama jamma's

X2 for the big hooks....lot easier to get the bait on too :) I use Owner SSW size 8/0-10/0.

Anyone use Bluefish heads or Chunks for Strippers or Reds ?

I plan to fish the inlet and maybe the pier the night before I goto AI.

Was planning on keeping some blues to use as bait.

not a good idea ?

Tough to tell, live or small whole I think they work well. I have trouble keeping them on the hook when chunked, mushy meat.

I've opened up big stripers and found whole snapper blues inside. So the answer to your question is yes, stripers will eat blues.

I caught this fish on 10-17-05. The'll be here soon.:D

10-170-05.jpg.6440f60564dbe24f594d5addaa

YOu beat me to it sam, i was just about to do a search on the boards to see when the first mention of stripers was in 05! I'll be down 10/16 i believe if all goes well!

Reds and stripers will eat bluefish. Fresher the better. Charkbait is right about the meat being mushy. But that was only after being frozen for me, and they(blues) still have about the toughest skin, as far as pieces staying onto the hook out there in the sea. You might be surprised at some of the mangled looking chunks and pieces of meat some fish decide to get hooked on.....

I'll let you all know how I make out with the fresh blues. Thats if I catch them at the inlet :)

Anyways looks like I'll have bluefish chunks on one rod and bunker on one rod.

you can probably load up right there in the wash as well then throw live under 10 inches if you have a heaver.