17 posts in this topic

Like some ideas of what ya'll are using as home made scupper plugs for your SOT yak.

Well it sure isn't going to sink, it would take a lot to sink it and I've tried. In the colder water I'd like to keep my can out of the water if possible.

i know guys use the rubber end caps from harware stores. they are made for crutches and the like... hope this helps,

denny

Also heard about the crutch end caps. 4 for a buck at wallyworld or the dollar store. Drill a small hole in the middle and force a piece of small nylon string thru. Tye a knot on the end and a loop on the other end. Good to go.

The "rubber" on the bottom of the crutch cap is too thin to tie a line (string) through and be able to pull it out, it would pull through the cap. You would just flip it over and push the cap out, Not made of rubber these days and deteriorate quickly anyway. (They got cheap on us!)

Best thing I have come up with is packing foam. Not the cheap break-apart stuff, but the flexible stuff they use with heavier items.

FREE too!

I've got a box of old corks too. All sizes. Or we could just put up the $$$ and buy scupper plugs.

I use the foam practice golf balls, can get a box of them at dick's pretty cheap. the fit tight but you do need to poke them out from underneath unless you put a line throught them.

gary

I used a 1 3/4" whole saw and pushed it into a 8" pool noodle and twisted a plug out. I did this a couple of times and then I glued the plugs in the holes behing and infront of my WS Tarpons seat. I sealed the holes top and bottom. I got tired of being splashed with water every time I hit a wave.

Im not a yaker so I gotta' ask. why do they put holes in them in the first place if everyone plugs them up:D

well the holes are there because they are supposed to be self bailing.