5 posts in this topic

Article in my local paper on November 16, Ocean Pines Independant, stated that the NOAA and Md DNR "seized 2,702 lbs pounds of striped bass from a commercial fishing vessel". The boat was out of west ocean city and was fishing in the EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone), an area 3 miles offshore that is illegal to fish and posses any striped bass. That was a one day catch and are also accused of fishing there the previous day with a total of both days catch of more than 5000 lb's in that area. I wonder as to how much illegal commercial fishing in our waters and other waters is occuring for striped bass,,,I beleive it's worse than we all think and must be stopped. I am glad the two agencies worked together too put an end to this act. If they were not caught, who knows how many more pounds of fish would have been illegally caught as the migration continues.

Coop did not here about that Thanks for the info :) , It's hard to chach stripers on the beach with out illegal commercial fishing. Makes ya think what it would be like fishing with out that going on.

Amazing. I try for weeks to catch ONE legal striper to eat and these jerks are out there scooping up thousands of pounds for $$$. Makes me sick to think about it.

It was a pretty off chance that they were caught.

DNR and the Feds for that matter can't be everywhere.

I think they should do spot inspections OFTEN everywhere the commercial folks come in.

Granted that 99.9% of these guys are on the up and up but it only takes one boat to mess it up. I'm sure if the other guys had seen it being done thay would have dropped a dime on him. They tend to police themselves.

I never heard about that, thanks for the info. I'm glad they caugth them that's a lot of stripers, hopefully catch some next season.

tight lines ya'll