7 posts in this topic

Hi fellow fishers!!!!!!!!!! I am new to your board but hope to be a regular. I fish when ever I get the chance---hence my question?---------I have the opportunity to go surf fishing at Assateague Va. this weekend (fri, sat, sun.) Any suggestions as to what to fish for? bait, rig, techniques, etc.??? many thanks in advance!!! my e-mail filetnskin@yahoo.com

Hello Gonefishin, welcome to the board!

My recommendations would be to use 12/0-16/0 circle hooks with a 4-8 oz pyramid weight on a fishfinder rig. The amount of weight will depend on surf conditions. Attach it to perhaps a 50-80 pound shock leader, then a swivel to another length of shock leader to the hook. You can get fresh bunker at Harbor Tackle, probably get the hooks there too, may want to call to check if she has them. I would gesture that all the local shops have them. Sharpen the hooks and attach a bunker head or big hunk of the body and toss it out.

You'll need plenty of bait, crabs CAN be bad at times. Check the bait every 15 minutes or so or after crab nibbles.

how you did!

Steve...

Enjoy the island and be sure to take pics and let us know

Glad to have you aboard gonefishin :D

I like to keep it simple,,,circle hooks, I would suggest a size (eg. 8/0, 10/0, 12/0) but the same size hook can vary from manufacurer,,,I would suggest using something close in size to a 10/0 mustad circle demon hook or slightly bigger for stripers, which is what most anglers are fishing for in the surf this time of year (November). Use your circle hook and snell it too 3"-10" (3"-5" for drum, caught in mid Sept into Oct, 5"-10"+ for stripers, caught in Oct until Dec) of 80lb flouro leader which is also attached to a heavy barrel swivel,,,you then tie your 40 or 50lb shock leader, which is about 20' long, too the barrel swivel and your main line,,,your fish finder will slide up and down your shock leader. I hope this makes sense,,,here are a couple pics of the rig:

10/0 mustad demon - I use for chunks and small heads:

hook1-1.jpg

12/0 mustad demon - just started using with big chunks and big heads, I really like this size hook for those cows:

hook-1.jpg

Folks are also fishing for blues. If the big chompers are out there, I would recomend using a mullet rig or something with a short wire leader,,,if you have any questions, just go to a local b&t and they should be able to get you hooked up.

I don't want to rock the boat, but I only use the fish finder rigs when I need casting distance for drum or when I am fishing near a break in the bar.

I do most of my fishing this time of year :?: in the the first slough and I have found that a plain old three-way rig with about a 12-20" leader of 80 lb flourocarbon gets me more hook ups than the fish finder rigs. If you want to refine the rig you can add a split ring and a barrel swivel between the three-way and the leader to futher reduce twist. I have found that an anchored bait provides me with more hook ups with the circle hooks. I have been experimenting with fish finders for about 35 years and I switched to the three-way rig when I started using circle hooks. I just get more hook ups with them.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I have used the fish finder almost exclusively and sometimes the high low rig which I have had success on,,,I like the 3 way also and use it on occasion, but always liked the ff rig,,,I have heard of people having good success with the 3 way, I just dont seem to use it enough to comment on it.

I use both, one on one pole and the other on another line. I can chuck the three-way further. The fish feed close in and further out so it doesn't matter what I use. If they are there and hungry, they'll bite either one.

I do find that the three-way can wrap around itself though, the FF doesn't.

I have found the same thing Steve and that is why I take the extra step to add a stainlees steel split ring and an additional swivel to the leader connection. The quality of the swivel is up to you and depends on how much you want to spend for performance. I would say that the 2 or 3X stainless steel split ring is definitely needed for corrosion resistance and strength.