62 posts in this topic

:D This is the month things should be happening. We should start seeing reports of some nice stripers and big blues as the month progresses. For some reason, things seem to be quiet on the surf fishing front. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

Feel free to post your fishing reports here. Get your feet in the sand and have fun!

Went out this morning and had a nice striper on the line at dawn,,,snap, broke the shock leader knot as I was pulling her in :( . I saw her on the surface, nice size fish,,,my drag was set loose too :x . My bad luck continues,,,the only bite I had for 6 hours,,,4th time out with the same knot,,,should of retied the knot.

Ahhhh..! I hate it when that happens! Are you sure it wasn't a skate? Maybe thats what it was... :?:

Definitley not a skate,,,saw it on the surface thrashing around as I was bringing her in close,,,still steaming about it :x

Took off Friday. Think I finally got this hunting thing out of my system seeing how I got a full freezer now. Hope forecast changes and we get some onshore winds. In next 2 weeks there should be massive migrating schools with acres of birds and the whole bit but will probably be on a Wed. Never forget few years back. Gannets, every species of gull, terns and above it all there were bald Eagles riding the thermals. Scott what kind of shock leader knot you tying?

Hey critter gitter,,,man, I hope your right about those migrating fish,,,for the first time in a while, birds were doing some seriuos work well outside the bar,,,in fact it went on all morning long,,,I am sure there were some fish working the bait fish. Last few times I have been out, I had at least one striper bite each time but only landed 1,,,1 in 3, not a very good average,,,I can live with them not getting stuck, as long as I know the hook was sharp, but I have a hard time swallowing knot breakage,,,thats my fault and could of been prevented.

My shock leader knot is the improved albright knot or alberto knot,,,Its really the only one I know how to tie consistantly,,,sometimes it takes a couple tries. The wraps will get screwed up on occasion when I go to cinch it up,,,it seems solid when tied right,,,any ideas or suggestions on a better alternative. How often do you retie the shock leader knot? I normally retie the knot every other time I go out and then retie the knot that connects the swivel to the leader every 3 to 6 hours depending on what weight I am launching, I guess I should do that with the shock leader knot,,,I always give it a good tug to make sure she is solid before I go out,,,I am pretty anal when it comes to my knots,,,I checked every knot before going out with a good tug, they seemed all good,,,I guess they werent :? BTW, On a positive note, I like those 12/0 circle demons with the big heads,,,thats what she hit and it stuck.

Fishing thursday night,,,respooling and retieing everything,,,last couple times out, havent been able to keep bait on very long, even during the morning daylight.

Coop,

Hang in there, I am waiting for the pictures you will be posting! I expect you will get your share.

Ahhh... The fish are here. Buck's Place just sent in this nice fish caught today.

clear.gif

clear.gif

Looks like Dana. I am happy for him. He sure puts in his hours. Coop I use the Noname knot and wet it before pulling it tight. I used to use the Albright but its too easy to screw it up and cost me a few fish. When pulling be sure the knot looks good. If it ends up tightening before it slips all the way to the shocker fold - retie. H2O Boss just called and killed a monster 9 pter with his bow and now Danas fish. Man I get anxieties this time of year

:D nice fish,,,CG, just got working on that no name knot with the double running line,,,much better knot,,,redoing all my rods,,,that improved albright knot always seemed to break at the knot when I pulled on it real hard,,,the no name knot was breaking at the running ling line and not at the knot,,,I am sold.

Man you didn't waste any time and I thought I had it bad. Just called Larry Johnson to ask about Danas fish. Larry caught 9 Drum in October and here I am thinking they were gone by then. Got to rethink this whole Drum thing. Sam as soon as Anthony emails me the deer pic I will try and post it.

Hey fellas, what do you think of a uni knot? I've caught some really nice choppers w/o any breaks at all. Still haven't gotten any of those elusive stripers though. Maybe I haven't put the uni to the test w/ a nice sized striper but the knot is easy to tie. I also make sure I wet the line before drawing the knot, I think it's a good thing to do since I think it's purpose is to not heat the line and weaken it when tightening the knot. I'm thinkin of gettin out the Sunday after next. Hopefully the weather will be nice and I'll get my first striper off AI. Maybe, if it's ok, I might be able to hang out with some of you guys if you're out that day. I hope you don't mind the unconventional tackle.

Thanks fellas,

Scott

I couldn't think of a better way to spend a weekday morning!

clear.gif

This is a good reason to properly dispose of your extra fishing line. This poor gull had it wrapped all around his left leg, and part of his right leg had already fallen off. There was nothing I could do for the poor fella other than give him some bait scraps.

clear.gif

Crabs still bad??? All packed and campered up. Gonna have to get a late start and try and get some fresh but fresh froze aint so bad this time of year.

Crabs weren't too bad this morning, but this evening was a different story. Get plenty of bait... :?

Tog fishing is picking up with some nice keepers (up to 22"). The rockfish are getting bigger too with some nearing the 50" mark. Hopefully, it will be a good weekend for everyone. Good luck!

AI this weekend. 3 stripers up to 36in. One Friday afternoon on first cast(never a good sign) one sunset Sat and one 8 am Sunday. Chunks lasting about 2.4 nanoseconds. Heads lasting 3.2 nanoseconds. Little crabs owned the bottom and if that wasn't enough then skates and baby doggies. Winds SSW to SW 15 to 20 and gust to 25. Water very dirty. One lucky fishermen landed a 45 in Drum caught Friday with pics to follow when PH gets home later in week. Drum at AI in November??? Hard fishin and no hogs but at least I got some good eats.

Hopefully, the wind will change direction by mid week. Congrats on the stipers CG, that's good eating there. So, Erik got a Red in November? Wow... I guess you never know. :?:

No Sam, Erik was driving by when the guy hooked up so he stopped and watched the fight and took his pic.

Fished all day with Steve and got a 34" on the skinny tide about an hour after first light,,,crabs are not as bad as they were last week,,,guess what was in the stripers stomach,,,lots of crabs,,,the only fish all day other than a couple dogfish and skates.

This guy look familiar Sam?

seagul-1.jpg

:D Nice to finally meet you Steve,,,It was a good time :D ,,,the next time you come down, hopefully we will be able to get into more striper action,,,pretty slow today, considering the amount of time we were soaking bait.

Glad to see you guys got something. Did it take a chunk or a head?

Yeah, that's my buddy. Poor gull.

Sam, hit on a half a chunk of bunker,,,used huge chunks in fear of the crabs, but they were not near as bad as the previuos week,,,may give it another go Fri afternoon into early evening,,,I wish we would get an onshore wind,,,looks like another gale tomorrow.

Ah, yes Scott, it was a beautiful day indeed!

I thought 'd better put the pic of Scott's fish on here before he eats it.

Anyway, here's the beautiful Rock I allowed him to catch. :lol:

The dawn breaks and we wait for the freight trains to take the line.

Teaguemorning-1.jpg

Scott starts off the day with a 34 incher.

ScottLandsIt-1.jpg

Darn, cut his head off on the closeup shot. But hey, it makes the fish look bigger! Nicely defined lines on this beauty.

scottfish-1.jpg

Now it's hurry up and wait.....

SitandWait-1.jpg

Oh well, at least we're feeding the crabs now, they gotta' eat too. That WAS a Bunker head!

crabate-1.jpg

Great spending the day with ya Scott!

Looking forward to it next time.

Nice pics and a great looking fish. I hope this one turns out better than the last one! Great job guys. :D

Steve, that was one nice November day,,,I am not sure how many more days we will get like that,,,a little cool in the morning but turned actually unseasonably warm during the day,,,nothing like fishing in short sleeve shirts in November. Water temps are in the upper 50's, close to 60,,,I think or HOPE that the striper action, as limited as it seems right now for me, will continue into December in the surf.

What a great sunrise :D

abc-1.jpg

Steve, after heaving a chunk

stevecast-1.jpg