22 posts in this topic

I am looking forward to the fall striper migration, are you guys into them yet?

Soaked clams on IBSP with my son for four hours today.....1 X 27in with a nice set of shoulders....1 X26in kinda light.....

What kind of clams do you jersey guys use? Here in MD, we have access to chowder clams (big ones). Same thing?

What kind of clams do you jersey guys use? Here in MD, we have access to chowder clams (big ones). Same thing?

They're big and heavy....normally about the size of you're entire hand....

I haven't seen them in B&Ts down there Sam but then again I haven't looked hard enough I guess.....

What I found funny was I started surf fishing in AI and got use to using bunker there...then when I hit NJ I figured 'bass eat bunker'...I was looked at like I had too heads in a few B&Ts and was told clams are the NJ thing....

I thought to myself.... 'how the heck does a bass know what state it's in?'....but I guess it's more of what happens to be more readily availible in the area they're in....

I know there's clams there because I've raked em...I'd be willing to bet they'd do well as bait there.....kinda like a taste of the lane up above :icon_wink:

In Jersey almost any bait will work. Bunker (alive and dead), clams, mullet, eels, & sand worms They all work. It's a matter of timing not location. In a calm surf use the bunker, mullets, or Swim live bunker / eel. In a rough surf use the clams (sea Clams yes they are huge), The rough surf tends to break up the clams that are in the surf this brings the bigger stripers in close. As always FRESH is best. I have found that the eels work best at night in October. Sand worms are for drifting. If you can't get fresh clams the next best is salted. Frozen baits are a last resort. I always have various baits with me usually clams and bunker. They will also hit plugs, But since my shoulder surgery I'm only good for a few cast so plugs are out for me. About the clams make friends with the fish monger at the local supermarket then stop by at closing and get the soup clams he is about to throw out take them home and make a salt brine (use kosher salt) store them in the fridge.

I am looking forward to the fall striper migration, are you guys into them yet?

Sam they were all over the place last week mostly shorts from the surf with some biggins mixed in

Good, I'm glad you guys are getting some action up there. Not too much to speak of here yet. Not in the surf, anyway.

5hr clam soak yesterday with my son.....skunked.....nice day to be out again though, and it was a real nice father/son weekend.....

Surf fished South Jersey coast Sunday 11/5 at dusk. Fresh clam yielded 3 shorts in a 10 minute span. Then absolutely nothing for the last 3 hours I was fishing, not even a strike.

Tried again at sunrise on 11/6 at another spot and nothing doing there either. Tried clam and skunked. Tried plugs and skunked. Nothing happening with the other fisherman there either. Seems like they just vanished. Water is crystal clear and no breeze. Like a sheet of glass.

Let's hope the incoming storm will rough things up a bit over the next 24 hours. It's just too calm right now imo. Will try again tonight.

Steve

Well, my LONG streak (my life of 32 years) without landing a fish from the surf more than 3 pounds has finally come to a finish!

Fished the surf in South Jersey Monday from 11:00AM - 7:00PM. Pulled up to the beach at 11:00 during the last 30 minutes or so of the outgoing tide. Found some really nice structure with an exposed bar. So my dad, brother, and myself decided that it looked like it might hold some fish:

cam2018ru2-1.jpg

At dead slack tide, we decided the hole close to the beach had nothing going on as it was crystal clear and no signs of anything going on at that time. That hole in front of the bar was actually quite deep! The water was up to my belly line at dead low and the bar just rose from the depths in a matter of being 36" deep to NO water on the bar in one step. That hole will usually hold alot of fish, but we had no luck there and went out to the main bar and casted well over. There was a report that some other guy(s) walked out to that bar and at low tide and nailed several keeper Stripers a few days prior, so we figured we'd give it a go.

Here is the scene at low tide facing South:

cam2025bht1-1.jpg

And now facing North. Note the deep slough to the left (yes, that narrow area is quite deep!). Sorry for the bad editing btw. No spot burning here :angel8:

cam2026bxl6-1.jpg

So now, we are on the bar casting out past the breakers. My bro to the left, me in the middle with two rods out and my pops to the right. We are mainly going with clam, both frozen and fresh since we had gotten some Striper shorts earlier in the week and others were hitting them on clam. But we picked up some fresh bunker to have on hand. On an old rod of mine, I had the clam on a 9/0 Octopus Circle in front of a FF. On the new Tica rod / Shimano 4500 baitrunner setup, I have a chunk of bunker with the same setup.

We are fishing for about and hour and the tide just starts to creep back in. I go back to shore to get a bottled water with both poles still out in the water. Not much is happening. I had a skate a few minutes earlier. None of the other fisherman were doing anything either. My dad toyed with the bait bucket, my brother was casting out his old conventional.

Just then, as I am walking back out the bar, I hear it! TZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, TZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! The Baitunner with bunker on it is SCREAMING, and my dad looks back at me while I am wading back through the slough to get out to the bar and just screams , "STEVEN! STEVEN!". Needless to say, I plow through the slough and onto the bar, knowing full-fledged what was happening. I ditch the bottle of water and race over to the rod which is still humming! I yank the rod out of the sandspike and override the baitrunner. As I start to reel to main drag takes over, it hit like a ton of bricks. The drag was set JUST right and for the first time in my life, I had myself a fight with a nice sized fish (for me anyway) and the hook felt like it set perfectly!

This fish was decent size, and it was aggressive. With rod tip up, I start to reel in and fight the fish. So far, so good. This fish seemed to just stop fighting and felt like dead weight for about 5 seconds. As I got the fish closer to the breakers, he started to run for open water. After losing a nice one last week by letting the fish take control, I fought back this time. I could feel every single thing this fish was doing. The rod and reel was so smooth, I could literally feel this fish's jaws trying to spit the hook. I kept tension on him and tightened the drag 2 more clicks. I could feel I had something nice, but had no clue what it was. I just assumed another skate, maybe a cownose ray.

It was at this point, I felt the line begin to run quickly and at about 30 yards distance from me, the fished showed itself, full body out of the water. It was a slammer blue!! My dad and the other fishermen's eyes were glued on this fight and let out several ooohs and ahhhs as the blue continued to break water on the way into the breakers. I gently rode him in on the waves while keeping tension the entire time. Finally, I had a nice fish!

When I landed the large blue, I looked to the sky and thanked the fish gods for this catch. She was a beauty! Measured 28" and weighed 7 pounds, not bad for this day!

cam2021bbu7-1.jpg

Couldn't get it in the cooler :eusa_shifty:

cam2024yh4-1.jpg

Well, the blue tore up my fluoro leader pretty good, so I changed to a fresh rig and started fishing again. Still out there on the bar, the tide is starting to come in now and the slough behind us is getting pretty deep. We figured a few more casts and we would move back to shore and try from there.

I'm standing next to my rod when my brother says it looked like something was nibbling on my bunker. I pick up the rod and felt what seemed to be a crab nibbling. It wasn't strong because the baitrunner wasn't even doing anything and I had it set fairly loose. Right then, about 5 yards of line went out very slowly. I felt the nibble again, so I figure maybe a late season croaker is playing around trying to chew off the bunker. That was exactly what it felt like, something small. The line starts to move out slowly again, about 5 yards, and I figure I'll wait and let whatever it is take my bait, maybe I'll get lucky and foul hook a croaker with my big 9/0 :eusa_shifty:

The line continues to slowly move and I decide that I am going to attempt to set the hook. Worse thing that happens is I scare off a small fish or crab. I set forward and slack the line so whatever is eating has free access to swim off a few feet. I saw the loose line start to become taught. I pull back the rod, shift to the regular drag, and I feel the hook set into something. The line does nothing. It feels like a dead weight to me. I slowly draw my body back, good tension on the reel, and start to draw whatever is on the end of my line closer. I reel in the slack. I repeat this for half a minute before I see a plastic bag filled with water stuck on my line. It was suspended at the surface of the water and now I knew it couldn't be a fish. But something is odd with the dead weight on the end of my line. It it moving to the left, opposite the direction the bag is taking my line. Then it starts to run towards the deeper water. I did indeed have a fish on my line. The line starts to let out and this fish means business. It went out about 35 yards into fairly murky water with scattered seaweed and seagrass on the surface. I tighten my drag a bit trying to cut off his escape out into the sea. I get him to the breakers and the fish shows itself in the wave.

Another slammer blue! This one much bigger than the first. The fish and I make eye contact when in the wave. The fish clearly sees me and makes an immediate run for deeper water, but I was not having it. I tighten the drag a quarter turn, fight this monster, and finally surf him onto the sandbar (yep, we are still on the sandbar at this point!).

Here is what he looked like:

cam2023bcr9-1.jpg

This blue measured about 32" and was clearly much fatter than the first. I estimate the weight at around 9 pounds!

After all was said and done though, that was it for us on fish. Nobody else did anything, all was quiet on the beach.

So, not really the Striper I was hoping for, but that was alot of fun and a good practice for when the time comes.

Tight lines!

Steve

Great Job on the blues! Those chompers can really fight.

Congrats Steve....and very nice job on the report :icon_thumleft:

Congrats,great story I was glued to the screen.

Awsome story and congrats on that chomper,,,those guys can fight.

Fished SoJo Sunday night - Tuesday midday. Tried the surf Suday night, not a bite, lots of seagrass. Tried the Surf again Monday AM, still dirty so we moved on to one of the inlets. Tried everything, clam, bunker, poppers, plugs, skunk! Monday PM decided to head to yet another spot on the surf, had a few light taps, caught one skate. Quiet there for 90 minutes, so moved to another spot on the surf. Fog rolled in heavy, tide was out, and still dirty, blech! Thought a trip to the rocks near the channel would be better. Saw some schools of Tog tearing up mussles, but they would have none of my bait and lures. Tuesday AM tried the same spot previous and nada. Went to the surf and tried about everything again. Still lots of seagrass and no hits. Makes me wonder I did ALOT of fishing over the past 54 hours and have absolutely nothing to show for it. I know they will come, but is this season over already?

A buddy went out on a boat and did not do much either(and usually he nails it 90% of the time). He got one Bluefish to 5 pounds.

However, still reading reports of big fish up in Mass., so maybe they are yet to come South. This can't be encouraging, though I think one more short run between now and X-mas that will be productive. It may not last long though!

Sorry for the late report.

Went out on the D-bay several times this fall. Not much to show for it this year. We did better in the back bays of Wildwood.

On the bay only one keeper caught. A 44", 30 lber, a skinny thing but nice none the less. Of course it was caught while pre-fishing a tournament, it never fails.

C'mon spring.

Welcome aboard, Misconduct and thanks for the report. Better late than never!:icon_thumright: