11 posts in this topic

Folks,

We receive a daily stat sheet for visitors to this site, much like every site does. We do not see nor collect personal info but we are able to see what browser you are using to access this site. This enables us to better format the site to better accomodate your choice of browser. This has been common practice across the internet for years.

What is disturbing is I am seeing users using old, outdated versions of browsers. It is critical for you to keep your browser updated to the latest browser with the current security fixes.

This does not change or affect your visit here but can be a disaster if you visit a web site that embeds what they call web bugs. This is a small, one pixel gif file that you don't even notice. This bug can gain info about your surfing habits. There are many other security concerns with using outdated browsers.

There are folks using IE4& 5, Netscape 4.0 and other outdated browsers.

This can be a big concern to you if you use the same browser for online credit card purchases and online banking.

This has nothing to do with visiting this site, this is merely a strong recommendation for all of you to update your browsers to the latest versions with the current security fixes.

It is also a very good idea to use two different anti-spyware programs while browsing the internet.

It only takes a few minutes to update, if you need help, PM Sam or myself.

Steve...

i use firefox 99% of the time, some places i pay online at wont allow it, verizon. but i also use ad-aware often, and spybot sd at times. this along with keeping my virus scanner, avg free, up to date.

and i have xp set to autoupdate.

firefox has a little icon in the upper right that autonotifies you of availaible updates

I use Firefox 100% of the time. All the major banks allow the latest versions. Firefox also has extensions you can apply. Go to Tools | Extensions and search for Adblock, Spoofstick and NoScript. These are excellent tools and combined with Firefox they beat the pants off anything Micro$oft offers.

In addition I also use Spybot, Spyware Innoculator and Spyware Blaster.

All the above mentioned items are FREE!

Got a question for you techies. What might be my problem. I cannot connect faster than 14.4 Kbps when using my home dial-up modem. Most times it is running at 12 Kbps. And almost all of the time I get a warning screen when trying to connect that gives a 777 or 678 code telling me there is a problem with my modem or connecting device. I ran self diagnostics on the modem and it says it is operating fine. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times to connect. dunno what to do. I replaced my phone connecion cable and it still is happening. Even tried hooking directly to the outside phone box and it still does the same thing. :?::?::?:

Thanks

Sounds like bad phone lines. Do a little test, pick up your reciever, press any button and listen to the silence. If you hear crackling, or a hummmm, it is your lines. If not, you might want to replace the modem. They can malfunction sometimes and connect at low speeds.

i noticed when i came to the home page tonite firefox blocked a pop-up

is it something new?

Thanks Sam. There is a loud hummm when connected to another persons phone line. Phone company is coming over today to see what is the problem. Called em this morning and they said according to some test they can run from the office, they see a problem with the line somewhere.

Cool. I figured it was the line.

mdram, firefox blocked a pop-up that I put on the home page. It is just an announcement about the AMSA tournament this weekend.

Sam

Thanks Sam. There is a loud hummm when connected to another persons phone line. Phone company is coming over today to see what is the problem. Called em this morning and they said according to some test they can run from the office, they see a problem with the line somewhere.

Chomper, you have what is called a ground fault. This is a phone company problem. It occurs most ofter when exposed lines get wet.

Make darned sure that you also get the hum at the network interface, the box they put on the house. If the problem is inside they charge to fix it.

No worries, 99% of the time it's on the outside.

The only other way to get batter speed is through broadband, those so-called accelerators are junk. They compress the text but not graphics. And we all know that the text is the smallest part of the packet being sent.

but there are those locations whre broadband is not a possibility :cry:

The phone co. is ever broadning their footprint in the broadband market. You may be able to get DSL before cable.

Satellite "broadband" has it's pros and cons.

Sam doesn't like it too much but I bet he would if he had to switch back to dial-up. It's not cheap either.

We've all been there with dial-up, be patient, likely the only choice at this time.