9 posts in this topic

Will these hooks work or do i need bigger? Also how much weight do i need?

casting? As much as you can cast a good distance. If throwing a half a bunker probably 5 oz. If yakked a brick since you don't want to be doing it over and over if you are getting rolled around.

I attach the brick to my swivel with 14 lb test, if I get a pickup the edge of the brick cuts the 14 lb line and I fight the fish with no weight attached. Also much easier to pull in when packing up. The downside is that you lose a brick everytime.

Talking on some of the other threads, people said they would yak my bait out so i guess i will need to go get some bricks. Will the hooks be ok?

You don't need bricks just equivalent weight. If it's a tuna head then you need more weight etc...

I'll yak for you, no problem. I'm going to be restriced to daylight sharking that day though...so pissed off!

My buddies and I caught 4-5 ft sharks on size 4 double bottom rigs for kings, bigger is better but anything will work. I think they should be fine depending on the size bait you use. If you have a big bait and a small hook you'll have a tougher time hooking up.

Im going to try to get some 12/0 mustad demon hooks tonight but I have 4 shark rigs done now with the 9/0 j-hooks and 8/0 circle hooks. I appreciate everyone on this forum for the info and the offering to yak my bait out.

I'm making up a bunch of concrete weights with spikes sticking out, sort'a look like a Sputnik. Folks are free to grab one for their use and loss of same.

I'll be attaching it to my line via 8# so it breaks off when reeling in.

I will have two rods out, if I could grab some that would be great.

I use a brick or half a brick depending on the surf. I used to have them tied on with a lighter test line, but I got tired of losing bricks. Now I just reel them in, brick and all.

Just buy an 80# bag of Sakrete for 4 bucks and fill whatever container ya want. Drive a few big nails into the side and or top. Use a coat hanger to make a loop for a barrel swivel with a 90 degree bend in the crete to hold the hangar in.

Make different sizes/weights cuz ya never know what you will need. Bust 'em off when reeling in the line, it prolly only cost a penny to make it anyway....

My neighbor ran out of the bricks with holes, so this idea came to mind.