16 posts in this topic

Well, decided to try yakking out baits for Sharks, I rigged up my old PENN Longbeach with 30lb test, 10' 150lb leader and 4' coated steel leader with a 10/0 hook. Picked up some grouper head from the seafood market and headed out. More pulldowns than I could count before I realized I needed smaller baits, Once I downsizied the baits I was set, fish on, 1st fish snapped my 30lb main line, the second shredded my 150lb mono leader 3rd was hooked and the fight was on until the PENN failed. Handling a 5' Blacktip is quite an interesting scenario, but he was landed.......Sorry, pics are too big to load right now.

awesome! great to hear! Good job on handlining that bugger in!

Here ya go, Jeff. :)

Nice catch, I'm glad you landed one. They sure can attract a crowd!

DSCN1259.JPG.6c1d6f15fa3f0115c26368eb584

Jeff, you can easily downsize the pics.

Open each one in MS Paint, up top select Image, Stretch/Skew, then under Stretch, put in 30% for the values. Now an important part!

Save this as a DIFFERENT FILE NAME!

You'll want to keep the original as a large, high res, unaltered picture!

Now you can upload this renamed, smaller image.

Nice catch. What happened to the reel to cause the failure ?

Nice catch

What failed on your penn? Were you using the HT-100 drag?

I think the Longbeach is the model 65. It's probably 30 years old.

They don't have any fancy drag, just the old star method.

I think the Long beach is the model 65. It's probably 30 years old.

They don't have any fancy drag, just the old star method.

Steve

I have a Penn long beach 65 that I bought in Annapolis in the seventies. I recently replaced the bushing and spool. I also installed the HT-100 metal drag washers. If I remember the cost is about 5.50 for the kit of three metal washer and three drag washers. The washers are thicker than the old leather washers and even with the drag completely let off there is still some drag engaged. Not a problem for me.

I want to use it for sharks and I want to know if there are going to be any problems. He said his Penn failed. How? I would like to know.

I have maged mine and have it spooled with 350 yds of 30 pound test and 100 pound shock leader.

You nailed it, it was the Penn Longbeach 65, its old, but can crank, when it wants to work....The brake locked down on it, he won't admit it but I think my dad cranked that down instead of the drag when he went to set the hook. Oh well, I took it apart, cleaned it up and it functioning perfectly now. Ok, now to answer the questions, I was on Pawley Island, SC. Its about 25 miles or so south of Myrtle Beach. If you look at a Map its just a few miles south of Huntington Beach state Park. I was hijacking a wireless signal from somewhere when I posted that so I didn't have time to sit there and resize the picture. I hate MS Paint. :) So, back to the fishing. 3 fish hooked that first day, 2 lost but I've already told you about those. The next day I headed out in the afternoon. The tide was incoming and the waves were huge. 5 attempts to paddle the bait out and no luck. Couldn't get the kayak out past the breakers, my dad joked around and said "you might get them out further if you just walk them out there and throw them" I laughed at him when he said that, but guess what I ended up doing. Pretty freaky carrying a fish carcass and tuna skin out into waist deep water and throwing it. The part that was even worse?????? Well it only took 10 min before that rod doubled over. I fought something for about 20 min when my swivel snapped off my mainline. GF got some good pictures of me fighting it though, I'll get them uploaded when we're done unpacking. After that I decided to kayak out the baits, no matter how close I ended up having to drop them because of the waves. Well I got the first one in the water and was heading out with the second when I turned around and saw my dad yelling for me......No more rod on the beach.....either a wave came up and softened the sand or my drag was a bit too tight, well there was a nice drag mark into the ocean where my pole once stood. All in all I had a blast. I've never hooked into fish so fast and furious before. It was nonstop action as long as it was light outside. Once the sun set, everything died.......So, now that I'm done rambling, the final score was Sharks - 4 Jeff - 1, but that 1 was well worth it........and Sam, if you're gonna edit the pics for me, you could've at least edited out my fat gut hanging out there LOL :)

Ok, home now, got the pictures edited, here are a couple more.

blacktip1.JPG.542c98a036f8989e9780d8b1c7

Blacktip2.JPG.1ce322a314f24aeb546100b75c