• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

About fshrgrl

  • Rank
  • Birthday 10/19/67
  1. Herding Big Sheepshead 7 July 2009 Skip had never caught a sheepshead, and was itching to try. We snuck out after work to try out a few of my favorite sheepshead spots. We rounded Cape Henry at about 5:30pm, and headed for the CBBT. There was nobody home at the first spot, so we shifted down the bridge several pilings to our second choice. I had my bait down for maybe a minute when I felt a tap. The wind and current were not completely aligned, so I struggled to hold my rod in place since I knew it was being examined. With sheepshead, the bait placement is of the utmost importance. I guess I did ok, my rod doubled over and I was suddenly in quick reaction mode to keep our first sheep from winding itself into the structure. The first fish weighed 10.5-pounds. Once the first sheep was safely in the boat, we eased back up to the bridge to try again. This time I noticed sheepshead several feet below the surface. After a few minutes of fishing while watching one sizable sheepshead graze on mussels, Skip asked if I wanted to move. I told him I knew there were more there. Just about then, the wind and tide finally cooperated, and I was able to put my bait in a better position. That did the trick. After that, it was on. We missed 4, and pulled 8 big sheepshead from the same small area in about 30-minutes. We kept four fish, and released the rest. They ranged from 10.5 to 12.5-pounds. Of course, the guy with the horseshoe caught the biggest one, so he was all smiles…again. We ran in with pleny of daylight left over. We used clam for bait, and 3-ounces of weight. Good luck!
  2. Steve, I have a 31 Cape Horn...it gets the job done. :glasses2: I'm sure we could carry a kayak.... Jamie...charmed, as usual.
  3. 4th of July Amberjack Report Skip and I managed to find some time off to get to the South Tower over the Holiday week. We snuck out at the end of the week for some jacks, and found plenty, and they were hungry. There is no shortage of AJs at the South Tower. Both live bait and jigs did the trick. Be prepared for a good fight, and lots of action! Good luck!!
  4. Pending IGFA Alltackle World Record SPADEFISH IGFA ANNOUNCEMENT Pending IGFA All tackle World Record Spadefish 14lbs, 14oz 13 June 2009 I had the privilege of speaking with a gentleman last night who experienced the catch of a lifetime. Roland E. Murphy was fishing at the Cell aboard the “Kingfish” captained by Allen King and his first mate, Sherie King, all of Fredericksburg, Virginia. They were in search of big spadefish, and caught a handful, and lost around 15 or so. Roland was up next when the rod in the holder doubled over. But this was no ordinary spadefish. Roland claims that “the fish put up a gallant fight for over 20 minutes, taking me around the boat, back and forth, under the boat, around the motor, almost wearing me out before wearing it out.” But Roland did wear it out, and in the live well it went until tipping the scales at a whopping 14lbs, 14oz. The existing record is 14-pounds. Jon Lucy of VIMS traveled to meet Roland, helping him with his application. Not only is this awesome catch a pending World Record, but paperwork was also submitted for a pending Virginia State Record. Congratulations to the angler and crew! Dr. Julie Ball
  5. 7 June 2009 Deep drop Report All I can say is...INCREDIBLE! Goldens Galore!! I can certainly say without reservation that boating a few nice goldens over a day of dropping is considered an excellent day. But, how about everyone hooked up with monsters on every drift? Incredible. I am almost afraid to report this, but seldom does a day like this come along. With the beautiful forecast on Sunday, I was once again nudged into another deep dropping adventure at the urging of my crew. Twist my arm. This time my web guy, Sam Kilgore, Scott Fiedorczyk, owner of Virginia Beach Boats, Beau Hoggard, one of Skip’s mates, and Captain Skip Feller made up my crew. Neither Sam, Scott, nor Beau had ever caught golden tilefish. We cleared Rudee Inlet at 0430, and headed for the edge of the Canyon with light southerly winds. The fog closed in at about forty miles out, and we were socked in for most of the day. First stop was for rosies and grouper. No grouper today, but I have never seen so many huge rosefish! Most every fish fell between 3 and 5-pounds. We were called over to drift with Providence II and Waterman for a few bluelines. It wasn’t hot, but we picked at them long enough to secure citations for both Scott and Sam. Ok, now to get down to business, we were off in search of “Goldie Locks.” We ran a few miles to one of Skip’s favorite golden holes. We had the whole place to ourselves, not a boat in sight. The fog finally lifted, and it was sunny. On the first drift, Skip made it to the bottom first…and he was instantly hooked up. Next, I felt the tell tale golden gobble…I set up, timed it, and bam…another hook up! After fighting my stud tile for a few minutes, I looked around to see Scott and Beau also doubled over. Who was gonna gaff what? We managed, though. High fives all around…and then repeat! We drifted a few more times, with multiple hook-ups on each drift. This routine took less than 1.5 hours. Everyone caught multiple fish, with six fish over 40-pounds, and four sitting at 50-pounds! I suppose Skip felt we needed a break, so while everyone rubbed sore muscles and caught their breath, he moved us on to our last area. There were a few other boats there, including Seaduction. We made a few drops, with a few goldens to show, and decided to call it a day. It’s a good thing my boat has a huge fish box. We had a crowd waiting back at the dock, with wide eyes and lots of “oohs and ahhs”. Good call on the locations Skip….and some great angling by my crew.
  6. Memorial Day Report We Struck GOLD! Although most anglers are chasing drum right now, we decided to embrace what we often take for granted…our deep dropping resource. My Memorial Day All-Star deep dropping crew consisted of Captain Skip Feller, Captain Darren Foster, and Sean Doran. We pulled out of the Fishing Center at 0500, and headed east. It was an easy ride out to the Canyon with light southerly winds. Our first order of business was to add a blueline tilefish to Skip’s citation repertoire. The paper tasking took no time, and Skip was satisfied with his 10lb, 8oz blueline. We were then off to deeper water in search of grouper and goldens. The first spot we tried for grouper quickly became tiresome, with rosies eagerly jumping on our large baits and hooks. These were nice-sized fish, with many pushing 3-pounds. I did manage to find a nice snowy grouper among the rosefish. We headed for even deeper water for our last stop. I was not thrilled with dropping to almost 800 feet, but I was quickly rewarded with the first golden tilefish of the day. Next, we had a few doubles with Skip’s largest pushing 50-pounds. We had a blast! We used squid and cut bait, and saw only 2 dogs all day! Another great day on the water, with a great crew!
  7. Friday, May 8th Other fishing destinations boast about their excellent drum fishing. But folks from those parts would die for drum fishing like we have here. Not only do we have BOTH blacks and reds, there are lots of them and they are HUGE! I know its prime drum time: the water temps are right, and the full moon is this weekend. I was frustrated with the evening thunderstorms, and itching to go. When I saw the forecast, I made some last minute calls, and managed to get up with Gordy. Skip was a special guest-he has never caught a drum. So, the plan was set. We were shooting for reds first, but from experience, had a full complement of clams for blacks. We pulled out of Rudee at about 6:30, and headed for the Eastern Shore with light southerly winds, and NO thunderstorms on the radar. A few buddies on the radio informed us of the black drum bite going on. So, we decided to flip the order, go for blacks first, then reds. We set up for blacks in about 18 feet of water, with an incoming tide, and put out clams. Within 5-minutes, the bite was on. Gordy and I stood back and grinned when Skip hooked his first black drum. He was tickled pink. I think he has a new appreciation for these gentle monsters. We had a fish on almost constantly, with a few doubles for about an hour. These fish were huge. We left after seven fish, and they were still biting. Five of our fish were citations, with the biggest pushing 85-pounds at 51.5-inches. All were tagged and released, and only one dog. We scooted over to the shoals for the reds. The moon was gorgeous on the water. We set out crabs in about 6-feet of water for another hour. We had one run, a nice 49-inch red. Once the tide turned, we gave it 30 minutes then headed in with a content crew. Eight beautiful big drum in 2.5 hours. That happens only here in Virginia. Of course! So get out there and enjoy it!
  8. Posted by Rob Holtz from another board with his permission to dissiminate info: http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/virg...4-08-09-a.html Another good link with similar info: http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/vswft/re...ns_ytd_pdf.pdf
  9. Thanks guys...and thank you Sam and Skip for keeping my report posted for everyone!!
  10. Thanks everyone!!!! I really enjoy inspiring others to get out on the water. Finaddict...the bmail from your daughter was very touching! That's what it is all about to me!!! Please tell her I would love to fish with her. If you give me permission, I would love to post it here for others to read. See you all on the water...and don't forget to say hello!! Julie