Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Assateague Island Surf Fishing

0 Not allowed!
    A bunch of friends and I are heading down to Assateague March 13th through the end of the weekend. I an experienced fisherman but I've never been to the island. I've been doing research and was wondering is someone could tell me what I could expect to catch that time of year down there. I've seen a lot of the shark pictures and have the kayaks to bring bait far out but wanted to know if they'll even be active in-shore that early. Also I know most guys are tight lipped when it comes to spots but if someone could point me in the right direction as far as location it would be much appreciated although I'm not sure that that is really possible when it comes to surf fishing. Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS
    Sponsor Circuit advertisement

Coop is offline Maryland Surf Fishing Moderator Site Supporter
    Thanks

Re: Assateague Island Surf Fishing

0 Not allowed!
    March? or did you mean another month?
    Scott

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Haha. Yeah I meant May. Sorry about that.

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Your going at a great time of the year. As long and the weather holds and the beach structure isnt affected. I think you and your friends have a shot at catching big stripers. Bunker would be the choice of bait for a majority of the fishermen on the board. If you are on the MD side of AI, just head south as possible. Thats where it seems like a big number of fishermen go. Best thing to do is find a thread about reading beach structure.

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds awesome!! Thanks a lot for the tip. Yeah I read this link which helped....Reading the water, again... - SurfTalk

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    This thread, post #5:
    http://www.atlanticanglers.com/maryl...ding-surf.html

Coop, I looked for your informative post about reading the beach, the one with pictures.
    I couldn't find it. If you can find it, would you start it in a new thread and make it a stickey please?
    Sure would help a lot of folks here.

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    really the only time when its really productive to head south down to the VA line is during drum season in the fall. Other than that just find some good structure and current and you'll find fish.

Personally for stripers I have had the best of luck fishing almost right next to south beach walkon at the top of the OSV enterance.

No one can give you any specific spots on AI because the beach changes from day to day and can completly change after a storm. There are some places that historically produce but they are absolutely last resort crap shoot when you can't any structure to fish around.

Mid May is the absolute best time on AI to get into some HUGE stripers. Choice of bait would be bunker and clam. You might also catch black drum,bluefish with those baits.

You can also try for kingfish using bloodworms on small hooks.
    Jim
    Wilmington, NC
    Click Click Click..........Fish On!
    }<((((((> }<((((((> }<((((((>

wojtek Soon to be Member

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, Guys:

A noob here - not to fishing in general (love it), but to surf fishing. Most of my fishing is off piers in NY Harbor, with an occassional off-shore trip. Most of my catches there have been blues and a few stripers. Using almost exclusively fresh bunker or mackerel on a fishfinder-type rig.

The reason I joined this board is that a bunch of friends with families are going camping to Assateague at the end of May and I thought I might give surf fishing a shot. But I would like to know whether I stand any chance of landing anything using a couple of my my existing 7-foot rods and spinning reels which are more suited to pier fishing than surf fishing.

I already read up on a lot of surf-fishing on this board and it sounds awesome.

Questions to you guys:

1. At Assateague, how far do you typically have to cast to have any chance? With my gear, I probably won't be able to cast farther than 40-50 yards.

2. When there are other anglers on the beach, how far from them should I set up to maintain good etiquette? Are there any "unwritten" rules? In pier fishing 10-20 yards away is okay, but surf fishing is a different animal.

3. I know I will need some sand spikes for my rods. What other essential gear should I get that is specific to surf fishing? For now I would like to avoid buying specialized rods and reels due to this crazy economy.

Thanks a lot for any tips.

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Steve all done on the sticky
    Teach a kid to fish

Coop is offline Maryland Surf Fishing Moderator Site Supporter
    Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    1.You can catch fish with that equipment from the suds...some stripers can be in close and a long cast isn't always needed. The only problem you may run into is holding bottom. You may need a stiffer rod that can cast a heavy payload.

2.you are going to get different answers. For me, I don't care if someone pulls right up next to me, as long they are a reasonable distance from an errant cast crossing my lines. Others would be fuming if you got that close...for me, I don't care. I guess to be on the safe side...75 yards, IMO, is a reasonable distance...but even that, some may squak...not sure why. If you are just doing the walkover, then I would say fishing closer to someone is fine, especially when there may be a few in a general area. If you are driving on the beach, you should be able to keep a fair distance from others.

3. sandspikes, cutting board, knife for cutting bait and a cooler for your bait...tackle - standard fish finder rig for stripers and blues (blues-mullet rigs work good)...just do a search on fish finder rigs. Some tackle shops sell them all made up...I know harbor tackle has a mess of the rigs. You can also buy spot rigs already made up for kingfish (whiting). Bring some ptramid weights of varying sizes, you never know what you may need to hold bottom. Iam sure Iam missing something.

Good luck and catchem up!
    Scott